Monday, February 14, 2011

What I'm Reading: Madame Bovary

Speaking of "classics..."

I'm currently a hundred pages into Madame Bovary and enjoying it immensely (when I find the time). The young Mrs. Bovary is annoying as heck and I find her irrational and overly emotional and mopey behavior kind of charming. Granted, her husband is a total slob and 100% dumpable, but whining never got a girl very far.

I'm hoping that she'll end up being much more endearing the further I get into the storyline. I sincerely hope that a story about someone so un-proactive wouldn't become a classic, but with Catcher in the Rye so famous, you never know. Come on girl, prove me right.

I'll include more deets when I finish the thing (I'm also reading two other books at the same time. Oof), but I thought I'd share this not-so-new find, while we're on the subject of "classics."

I'm hoping most people have seen these at Urban Outfitters or Borders or something, but numerous classic stories are being re-released with revamped, super sexy covers. Cubin-born artist and hubby to fashionista Isabel, Ruben Toledo has released several, either already out or set to be released this year. (Check out a WWD interview with Toledo here).

But my favorite are the fabric revamps by Coralie Bickford-Smith. The woman must be a total book nerd, but her designs are so simplistic and awesome. Books on their own are pretty and decorative, but adding some texture doesn't hurt, either.

The idea of re-released classics is especially exciting to me because I sincerely hope that they inspire a new generation (that is admittedly more focused on the aesthetic) to read--and appreciate!--some old favorites. Devour Twilight all you want, my little chillins, but no romance will top the complexity of Victorian novels.

Maybe now, you really can judge a book by its cover.


Penguin Hardcover Classics, typically $20

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, those books are to die for! ps-your blog is adorable, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete